Monday, January 09, 2006

Prestige Cooker as “Pongal Seer”

My cousin got married a few months back. She is based at Bangalore. Since pongal is fast approaching and its her first pongal after marriage, her mother / my aunt who is based at Chennai was discussing the logistics with me.

My Aunt informed me that, she is noooooot getting the traditional “Vengala Paanai” . For the uninitiated it’s a pot made of bronze which was used in olden days to cook rice. Instead she is getting a brand new stainless steel prestige pressure cooker for her darling daughter. New age MIL!!! I was awestruck by her creative thinking.

Incidentally it happens to be our first pongal after marriage. Hope I don’t get a Kenstar microwave with a ready to eat packet (Heat & Serve) of MTR Chakkarai Pongal Mix from my in laws. :-)

I would still prefer the Vengala Paanai and shouting “Pongalo Pongal” on the top of my voice which I used to enjoy a lot as a kid.

Speaking about all this makes me remember the last pongal I celebrated in Singapore along with my friends. We made chakkarai pongal in an electric rice cooker and made maa kolam using white and red oil paints. It was good in a way.

Heartfelt Thai Thirunaal wishes to you folks out there

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will IFB do instead of Kenstar???? MTR is best I guess .:-)

Thai Thirunaaaal Vaazhthukkal.

Umashankar (U'r U) said...

Welcome madam,
Nice to have you here as part of the fun club.. Atleast this year, treat Mr. Kailash with "MAN PAANAI" pongal & Karumbu.

Anonymous said...

Thai Thirunaal Spelling thappudaa Kanna

Please correct it

Anonymous said...

Antha Cousin naan than ( LoudSpaeker 1 if someone is not familiar with my actual name ;-) ),one more info to u ppl,my mom may be a hi-tech MIL,but i am still a very traditional mattuponnu ( daughter-in-law ) for I am going to keep Pongal tying madisar ( strict instructions from my MIL),for those who dont know what madisar is pls ask Kailash for a detailed explanation,even sumathy can help