Monday, January 16, 2006

Gen X Tamizhargal

Pongal was great. Wifey made good sakkarai / venn pongal. As a last minute offer Carrot Halwa was thrown in for free. :-)

In between the time spent shuttling across my aunts / in laws / cousins place, one program caught my interest on Vijay TV. It was program in which Gnani / Kanimozhi / Sujatha shared their views about gen x Tamizh samudhayam

People were picked at random and questioned on the Tamil equivalent of common English words like Dollar / B.A. History / Ticket / Lipstick etc. No one knew the answers. It was really pathetic. I guess Tamil is better preserved in foreign countries like Sri Lanka / Singapore / Malaysia.

They mentioned the current generation has lost all its dreams / aspirations to Silicon Valley and they showed clippings of a few IT Majors. It was true to a certain extent.

Though I did not learn tamizh at school my patti ensured that I knew how to speak/read tamizh properly. I owe all my tamizh knowledge to her. She kindled my interest, and I started off with kumudham / kalki and progressed to Ponniyin Selvan, Chakravathi Thirumagan etc. Right now I am reading Nala Bagam by Thee Ja.

1 comment:

Kailash Sunder said...

I got the traditional pot :-)) We already have a microwave