Friday, February 10, 2006

Paiyan Paartha Padalam

One thing which occurs in every man’s life (at least in the place where I grew) is the “Poonu Paarkum Padalam”. To say that I hate it would be the understatement of the year. I simply detest it and consider it the most uncivilized thing on earth. It could be a harrowing experience for the concerned girl. Well by gods grace I did not have to through it. (The true reason being I feared the terrible bajji and sojji that would be served, which I have to consume with a plastic smile pasted on my face)

I was in Singapore at that point of time. My wife had come to our place in Coimbatore along with her parents for “Paiyan Paarkum Padalam”. I heard from reliable sources that she had gobbled down half a dozen idlies, polished it off with a few helpings of Kesari and finally washed down everything with a cup of coffee. She had complimented my folks for the great food. Good Manners you see. :-)

I called up home and she spoke with me for some time. I can vouch that she could give all the criminal lawyers a run for their money with the kind of questioning skills she possesses. She had questioned me right from L.K.G class teacher’s name, (It was Lalitha Miss) to what I had for lunch. She decided that I was the right guy for her after the session :-)

Nothing much has changed now, I still answer to a lot of questions though, the nature of the question has changed. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who else on earth had the wonderful oppurtunity to go for a Payan Paarkum Padalam? Its me and only me.........

Ponunga thazhaya thazhaya pattu pudavai udduthi, thalai kuniju namaskaaram pannina pon parkum padalam. Then follows sojji bajji etc...

Payan Parkum Padalam na enna.....?

Anonymous said...

Mine was a different story,my marriage was 19th century marriage,my parents and my husband's parents exchanged photos ( ofcourse ours ),jathakam etc.When the jathakams matched a photo was sent to me thru mail,i was in mumbai and i was supposed to check the photo at office ( wat a pity !!! ) the next day and give my approval ( namesake ),the same time my phot reached raghavan's inbox ( lucky him ,can chck it frm home ).the marriage got fixed before we met each other and the engagement date was finalised.We met one week before engagement amidst 40 ppl ( 15 frm his side ,25 frm my side )i was made to wear silk saree and serve coffee,sweets to those ppl.i never imagained tht such things wud happen in my life :-(.i thought i will meet the guy in some restaraunt go on some 50 dates,chat hours together on phone and finally say a yes,but nothing happened,so u guys and girls who r not yet married be careful

Kailash Sunder said...

I got to see the photo only after everthing was finalised.

And good that you did not meet any one in a restaurant. The bill would have influenced his decision :-)